Express your own style with a custom made skirt or dress
One thing about being a lover of African fashion is depending on what’s hot in RTW (ready to wear) it is very hard to find a clothing piece made of African fabric. We can not go to any store and easily pick up a gown made of Ankara or Kente cloth. So to a tailor and/or fashion designer we go, but this method can be very costly and sometimes the quality of the clothing isn’t what you expected. They say when you want something done right, you should do it yourself. Well Tribe Appeal has gathered some information from Fashioncadet.com and BritxBrat2Fashion to guide you into creating your own custom African fashion piece! Grab those materials and get to work!
1) A piece of fabric of your choice
2) Your choice of skirt for pattern
3) A zipper
4) Sewing pins
7)Sewing machine or thread & needle
- Place the fabric on a table or flat surface.
- Fold the fabric in half
- Place the skirt on top of the folded fabric to get the skirt pattern
- Mark the pattern using a piece of chalk or pencil
- Cut out the fabric according to the pattern and start sewing
- Pin the zipper to the back of the skirt (If you want the zipper to show, place it on the outside of the skirt)
Now if you would like to make a dress, you may apply the same technique used above and also watch the video below.